About Me

My photo
Mainly I blog about my own experiences. The ups and downs, highs and lows. Things that encourage me to keep pressing toward the prize. People are basically the same. No one's life is a bed of roses all the time. I hope the Chronicles of my own spiral upward encourages you and challenges you. God bless you and thank you for visiting.

Saturday, January 8, 2011

MERCY TRIUMPHS


Taken from Merchant of Venice by William Shakespeare
Scene 1.  Venice.  A Court of Justice.

Mercy triumphs over judgment!  James 2:13.
I was watching a program on TV tonight called Dateline.  It's a program about crimes that have been committed and the people that did them and the people they did them to.  Tonight they were showing about a pair of men that terrorized people throughout the Oklahoma, Texas, Mississippi area in the 1970's.  While in Oklahoma they brutally shot a Pastor, his wife and 2 children.  The Pastor and his wife died almost instantly, but the son and daughter survived and were faced with many years of court cases, having to re-live the whole thing again and again over a decade or so.  The daughter seemed to move on with her life at a fairly normal pace, but the son just couldn't seem to get his feet under him.  After many years and two failed marriages the son went to visit one of the fellows in prison, and on the spot forgave him.  He tried to get in to see the other guy too, but he wasn't allowed.  After that he seemed to cope much better and eventually wrote a screenplay about the incident and plays his father in the movie.  The movie is called 'Heaven's Rain', the title taken from this scene from The Merchant of Venice.

I've been thinking a lot about some things going on around me, and being pretty harsh.  When I saw Dateline tonight (funny what the Lord can use to jerk the slack out of me - a crime show.  blushing), I had to take it to heart.  This son and daughter were called upon to forgive much more than I have ever had to.  Hopefully, more than I will ever have to.  And I got to thinking about this quote from The Merchant of Venice.  Should I approach God on grounds of justice or mercy?  Knowing me as well as I do, I think I'll be better off with the mercy.  In the words of the great Apostle and brother of our Lord Jesus, mercy triumphs over judgement.  I believe I have learned my lesson tonight.  I will render the deeds of mercy, for I have been forgiven a huge debt.

Does that mean I have to be every one's doormat?  I'm still working on that one.  Who knows when and where the Lord will choose to get it across to me.  I've learned to stay alert, and take my lessons where He chooses to send them from. 

Have a most blessed weekend.

Much love to you ...


2 comments:

  1. No I dont think it means you have to be a doormat Katherine, good post, thanks for sharing. Hugs - Nita

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Katherine,

    First I want to say thank you for visiting my blog and leaving a comment on my latest post and my Michael Jackson article. I really appreciate it. Not too many people who visit my blog, click on the pages I've created. The Michael Jackson article is near and dear to my heart. I am now a follower of your blog, which I thought I was following but was mistaken.

    On the subject of mercy ... wow!! This is a lot to think about. The son whose father was brutally murdered was set free from his anguish when he forgave. Only by the power of God was he able to do that. Jesus forgave his tormenters as they were nailing him to the cross, so I understand why God had the son reach out and forgive the unforgivable. Martin Luther King, Jr's son Dexter visited the man who murdered him and decided to forgive. I pray I don't have to forgive a horrible crime such as the one you mention. But if you think about it, that level of forgiveness helps us to connect with Jesus. It brings us closer to Jesus, because He had to do the same thing.

    "Now if we are children, then we are heirs — heirs of God and co-heirs with Christ, if indeed we share in his sufferings in order that we may also share in his glory" (Romans 8:17).

    Blessings,
    Judy

    ReplyDelete